[DWJ] the Ites

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Apr 20 09:23:18 EDT 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 6:45 AM, <estairm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Some peoples around the world have oral traditions
> that they were once of the ten lost tribes.  Someone
> told me recently that a Japanese man told him that the
> name of the Mikado of Japan comes from mi-Gad (meaning
> from Gad, one of the lost tribes). I have no way of
> knowing if this is true, but it is a cool idea.

One of the things that people who lived in North America
in the 18th and early 19th centuries seemed to be easily
convinced of was ... [that's just the introduction to this
sentence]

that the Native Americans were one or more of the
Lost Tribes.  I can remember that the Mandans
particularly were identified as a Lost Tribe by some-
body or other.  They were related to the Sioux, but
were not nomadic.

[What happened to the Mandans was
disease:  smallpox and whooping cough.  After the
smallpox epidemic in 1837, there were only 125
left.]

[If you haven't read _Guns, Germs and Steel_ by
Jared Diamond, you owe it to yourself to try.  Parts
of it are poorly written, but the subject is fascinating.
For example, the recent announcement that the dif-
ference in the size of dog breeds is attributable to
one gene comes as no surprise to those of us who
have read it.]

- It doesn't make any difference what you do in the
   bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street
   and frighten the horses.

                                    -- Mrs. Patrick Campbell