[DWJ] Citizens of the world - [Was: A test and an apology]

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 02:05:23 EDT 2007

Well, there are also Mancunian (Manchester), Wolfrunian (Wolverhampton),
Cantabrigian (Cambridge) and Liverpudlian (Liverpool).

It would be interesting to know if there's any rule (albeit of thumb) about
which cities get the English '-er' ending, and which the Latin '-ian'. Is it
simply a matter of chance, or euphony, or does it correlate with the
linguistic roots of the city's name?

Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk