[DWJ] Collectives

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 19 22:54:53 EDT 2007

Ros mused... Melbournian (generally, though Melbournite doesn't sound
completely wrong)
Sydneysider
Tasmanian

Sally says:

Kiwi.
Taswegian (an oddity still seen occasionally).
Icelander
Hollander??? (Is that one right, Irina?)

'Kiwi', I think, is at the same level of formality as 'Aussie', so if a
person were in a situation where they would describe themselves as an
'Australian' then probably their opposite number across the Tasman would
call themselves a 'New Zealander'.

Here in New Zealand we have Aucklanders and Wellingtonians, and (I
think?) Dunedites, but I have no idea what a resident of Christchurch
would call themselves. A recent uncomplimentary label for Aucklanders is
JAFA (acronym for Just Another F------ Aucklander). It seems to have
been adopted country-wide.

OBDWJ - The two cities that spring to my mind thinking of DWJ books
right now are Bristol in Deep Secret, and Time City, but I can't recall
the characters identifying themselves as Time Civilians or Bristolytes
(??).