[DWJ] Doctor Who and DWJ's non-family books (was Venus As A Boy)

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:19:37 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

>   Deborah wrote:
>
> >It does, actually, with the Archer's Goon caveat, as I find that
> >book immensely satisfying. I tend to be a sucker for "family of
> >choice" stories in my fiction anyway (which is maybe my excuse
> >for being addicted to Grey's Anatomy?), so a world like Deep
> >Secret's or even A Sudden Wild Magic's with this chaotic horde of
> >people who just have to function together does give me a lot of
> >satisfaction.
>
>   I haven't read all of DWJ's books (I only became a fan two years ago
> and I'm trying to ration the remaining unread ones so I have a few to
> read each summer after hectic school semesters), so I can't comment on
> Archer's Goon.  However, I also prefer the non-family-based stories.  A
> Sudden Wild Magic, Deep Secret, Merlin Conspiracy, and Dark Lord are my
> favorites.  I count Dark Lord as non-family because, as both Ika and
> Deborah have said, it's not a usual sort of family.

Hm. Like Deborah, I love families of choice (see: Angel, end of season
1). But my top two are Hexwood and Deep Secret, and while they're not
family-based, the way, say, Time of the Ghost is, I love the family
dynamics and connections there. Also, if someone says to me, "how do you
feel about your sister?" I would point them to the bit in Year of the
Griffin when Lydda shows up, and say, "I'm Elda and my sister is Lydda."
DWJ just gets it *right*, at least for me.

>   Fire and Hemlock, I should note, does not go on my favorites list
> simply because I haven't had a chance to re-read it since the first
> time, when it blew me away but left me ultimately confused.  I loved it
> but I can't say it's a favorite yet.

Oh, you definitely need to reread Fire and Hemlock. I think the ending
confuses almost everyone; but when you're done rereading, you should read
J. Odell's great essay at http://www.redhen-publications.com/Hemlock.html

And while I admire your willpower in not devouring all of DWJ's books as
quickly as you can get your hands on them, I will note that the rereading
is almost as good, or sometimes even better because you notice more stuff.
In fact, I think the only books of hers I've read this year were The
Pinhoe Egg and The Game, and now I can look forward to rereading, well,
everything. :^)