[DWJ] Naming a cat AND Where are we from?

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Wed Apr 18 21:54:51 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:
> Euthanise is euphemism.  "Kill" is the word we need here.  (Even if the
> verb existed, which I'm not sure it does, it's just an attempt to avoid
> using nasty words like kill.  In any case, "euthanasia" means "humane
> killing".  What, me, a pedant?  Never!)

You are correct; "euthanise" is not a word.  At least, my spell-checker
doesn't like it.  However, it is a coined term which will likely be
added to dictionaries soon enough, as it is in common usage.  It is not
a euphemism.  It has a precise meaning:  To kindly kill, the killing
being in the best interest of that which is being killed.  [1]

I would gladly be a pedant, if it weren't for the fact that I routinely
abuse the language, connecting clauses with commas being my chief
offense.  I enjoy a good run-on sentence, and can serial-comma with the
best of them.

--Mark A., hoping to go back to lurking soon (or more properly, skulking
around)

[1] Ask me about the word "gender".  No, not really, don't.  But
consider also the word "sex", and ponder.