[DWJ] Cats - on topic

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 15:11:40 EDT 2007

sue wrote:

>Doesn't Gladys use her cats as magical household help? When Mark first comes to
>visit, it is implied that the cats organize and make the tea-tray appear,
>because they pause to ask if he takes milk (or sugar?). Thus these cats are at
>least slightly magical? Of course, they could be ordinary cats just being used
>by Gladys for magical purpose. Or perhaps they are not magical in themselves,
>neither used as magical helpers, but instead Gladys is just having fun pulling
>Mark's leg: making him think that her cats are magical, just to see how he
>reacts. After all, she does have the magical toilet seat that refuses to stay
>up, so pulling his leg would be a Gladys-like thing to do.

Great minds, and you beat me to it.  I think they are magical themselves
because of the telephone conversation with her daughter Aline in VIII,2, in
which Gladys definitely implies that the cats won't be any trouble because
they can do everything for themselves except open tins.

Just as well: I can't help agreeing with Aline that fifty-two ordinary cats
in any ordinary-sized house would be rather too many.

Minnow