[DWJ] Naming a cat AND Where are we from?

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Apr 18 15:07:29 EDT 2007

Mark said...

> There are groups who capture wild cats, spay or neuter them, and release
> them.  I find this practice odd.

Why do you find it odd?  It seems quite sensible to me to prevent wild/feral
cats from adding to their population.  Just killing them seems needlessly
cruel, and then you have the problem of disposing of the corpses - I should
think it's probably cheaper and simpler to just neuter/spay them and let
them go again.

(Also, we once had a stray cat being a nuisance (and wouldn't be adopted),
but after the DSPCA caught and spayed her, she never came near us again!)

> It's hard to say Chrestomanci.  You would just end up shortening it to
> something like Chrestoman, which would be shortened further to just Man.

I'd probably shorten it to "Cress", actually.  Though cats in our house tend
to get silly pet names; Arakasi is rarely called by his actual name, for
instance, but is rather addressed as "Fluffy", "Fluffy-Puss", "Fluff", or
"Fluffly" (can you tell he's long-haired? :-) ).

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray