[DWJ] Naming a cat

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 15:00:59 EDT 2007

Gili wrote:

>I've always assumed DWJ is also a cat lover, because of how she
>writes about cats: Ashteth temple cats, Benvenuto's tribe, Glady's cats,
>Fiddle, Throgmorten, Proudfoot... plenty of very catlike cats in DWJ's
>books. Unlike JKR who clearly never loved a cat and doesn't "get it". Dodie
>Smith "gets" cats too, which is particularly nice as she is clearly also a
>dog person - rare to find someone who loves both (I do).

Be assured, DWJ too loves both: note El-i-o as a reprise of Leo, an alter
ego of her beloved Caspian (whom I never met); she was an adopted aunt to
my daft dalmatian (who adored her), had a black and Wicked cat called
Benvenuto who left beautiful wicked kittens all over Clifton for some
years, and now has a dark tabby-tortoisehell-ish Queen of the house named
Dorabella.

She is deeply chuffed by the idea of a cat being named Romanov out of her
work, and suggests that Ivan Romanov might be You-Idiot-Ivan or
Ivan-the-Terrible depending on circumstances and character.

Minnow