[DWJ] Naming a cat AND Where are we from?

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Wed Apr 18 08:24:44 EDT 2007

sylvia . . . wrote:
> On the subject of pet names, my boyfriend and I picked up a charming
> black cat from the Humane Society last year.  She is missing the tip of
> one ear,

There are groups who capture wild cats, spay or neuter them, and release
them.  I find this practice odd.  Anyway, they always clip an ear of a
female, to mark the ones that they have spayed so they do not attempt to
spay the cat again, should it be recaptured.

  and well on her way to being overweight despite our best
> efforts.  The people who worked there named her Lucky, which is a name I
> think no animal should be saddled with, so after some debate we changed
> it to Lucy, after the youngest girl in the Narnia books.  (The other
> option was Warmachine, which is now her last name.)  And now, it turns
> out EVERYONE I have ever met seems to have a cat/dog/hamster/imaginary
> friend named Lucy, so I kind of regret it...

I once had a cat named Lucy, it was short for Lucifer, because she was a
little devil.

  So my only advice really
> is to pick something uncommon, and if you go with a DWJ name that
> shouldn't be a problem.  (I did in fact have Chrestomanci in mind if we
> had chosen a male cat.)

It's hard to say Chrestomanci.  You would just end up shortening it to
something like Chrestoman, which would be shortened further to just Man.

Now if you had a pair, you could name them Flute and Fiddle.

--Mark A.