[DWJ] Venus As A Boy (was Naming a cat AND Where are we from?)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 23:15:14 EDT 2007

Sylvia (hi, Sylvia!) wrote:

>   (I did in fact have
> Chrestomanci in mind if we had chosen a male cat.)

which reminded me to ask... Is there any reason, in principle, why
nine-lived enchanters should be male? Or is it just a coincidence that
there have been three (or is it four? ISTR that Gabriel de Witt's
predecessor was a man too) male Chrestomancis in a row? And would it
cause problems, in Christopher Chant's world which seems to be
relatively conservative re: sex and gender, if the Chrestomanci were a
woman?

And is there any fic about it?

(I tend to think that one of the differences between Cat and
Christopher as Chrestomanci is that Cat is going to be out - hopefully
with Tonino as consort - where Christopher is in a deeply loving
companionate marriage and discreetly bringing home a series of
boyfriends from a series of worlds, but DWJ fanfic on the whole
remains resolutely het.)

Love, Ika