[DWJ] Where are we from?

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 15:52:33 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Burton West" <roger at firedrake.org>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Where are we from?

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:31:39PM +0100, Minnow wrote:
>
>>Please can you run that explanation past me again with some explanation?
>>Like where either sense of "owned" fits into wot you sed?
>
> It's a slang term in the first place - "I am better than you" becomes "I
> own you". This then turns to "you have been owned" when someone in the
> game has just been killed.
>
> It's all semiliterate nonsense at best.
>
> Roger

I always thought that owns/owned in this sense is an extension of
rules/ruled etc, as in 'this rules!' = this is great/the best; 'you rule' =
I'm great/best; next step is 'You ruled [at] this game'. To rule something
is good; to OWN something is even better. That's my theory.

I'd also pronounce pwned poon'd, and Stephen my offspring does so. As an
interesting aside, I saw a txt msg to him which started with the word look,
but it was spelt lwk. I put it down to living in a Welsh speaking area. And
something else which really tickled me the other day is that txt speak is
alive and well in Welsh! There was this very dusty car and someone wrote in
the dirt 'clean me please' in Welsh, but instead of writing 'golcha fi plis'
(pron. golkha vee pleess) it said 'golcha v plis'. I was tickled pink.

l337 is pronounced LEET; it is said it's short for elite, but I am not
entirely convinced. Leet exists in languages with different scripts, too-
like JApanese.

Ania