[DWJ] Where are we from?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Apr 16 07:31:40 EDT 2007

>> Dorian wrote:
>>> Unfortunately for your theory, the consonant patterns are all wrong for it
>>> to be any variety of celtic.
>Nacogdoches is pronounced "Na-co-do-chess".  "Na", short A-as-in-apple;
>"co", long o-as-in-odor; "do", long o-again-as-in-odor; "ches",
>ch-as-in-chimney, es-as-in-chess.  It's a Spanishised Indian name.  The
>'g' is not pronounced.

I *knew* there had to be an abandoned consonant in there somewhere, I just
knew it!  :-)  Thanks, Mark.

>Natchitoches (Louisiana) is pronounced Nack-o-tish.  You may speculate
>on how that came about.

Someone who had a head-cold and was looking for a place to get rid of a
worn-out horse?  (Do you get the feeling that I am a bit preoccupied with
having a cold, here?)

>Texas was called "Tay-has" by the Spanish, who couldn't pronounce the
>Indian word, which would be phonetically spelled something like "Tay-shaw".

eeeeekk!

<gneffooosh>

<snff>

Minnow