[DWJ] Where are we from?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Apr 16 07:31:40 EDT 2007

>Minnow wrote:
>>I understand that the important thing about the Irish Question was that
>>pulling the beards of Irish chieftains was not considered a useful
>>Answer... seems to me that one way round that might be for Irish chieftains
>>to be clean-shaven, which would thwart anyone like King John who tried it.
>
>The Irish Question was like the meaning of the universe, wasn't it, in that
>if anyone ever discovers what it actually is, the Irish change it to
>something even more baffling? (This raises the interesting point of whether
>an infinite universe can produce anything more confusing than Gaellic
>spelling.*)
>Jennifer
>
>*I understand it's entirely regular and phonetic. No wonder it's difficult
>for the English.

Every time I have this discussion in a room with more than one Welsh
speaker, one of them will say "Its spelling is always regular and phonetic"
and the other will say "Well, except for...", and they will then give
examples for the next half-hour or so of words in Welsh that don't follow
the rules.

I find this reassuring.

Minnow