[DWJ] 'that damned hook'?

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Apr 16 02:28:52 EDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Minnow wrote:

> I know that some people do write without one or another punctuation mark,
> or without the use of the letter e, or whatever other idiosyncratic wossits
> they choose, but I sincerely doubt that this makes their work easier to
> read or to understand, and if one doesn't want to be read or understood
> what's the point of writing?  Alternatively, if such people are writing
> only for those who are prepared to spend time and effort in cracking their
> personal code, for a self-selected in-group who "understand", for the
> "interior people", aren't they being rather *more* "snooty" and elitist
> than those who are prepared to write for the general mass of people who
> find conformity with what is ordinarily conventional easier to understand?
>
> Minnow

I've recently discovered that when I see people writing contractions
without apostrophes, even in contexts where it is clearly obvious who the
writer was (like when I see somebody do it on a blackboard), I immediately
jump to the conclusion that the person writing was Faulkner.

ObDWJ: I've often thought that if someone gave me a piece of DWJ-writing
without telling me that it was by her, I would be able to tell that it was
hers.  Not because of any truly bizarre tick like that one, though!

							---Kyra

---
"Entertainment can sometimes be hard, when the thing that you love is the
same thing that's holding you down."
				---Jarvis Cocker (Pulp), "Party Hard"