[DWJ] Naming a cat- comments/advice?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Apr 15 14:10:13 EDT 2007

"The naming of cats is a difficult matter.  It isn't just one of your
holiday games..."

Ania wrote:

>It would be good to have a dwj-inspired cat name and I just thought of
>Romanov which would suit quite well,  but before I finally decide I
>thought I'd ask you all for comments/dwj-ish suggestions (Ha! It is an
>on-topic post, see?). My other cat is called Jadwiga - I think I told you
>how this came about already.

Throgmorten, you're right, is most definitely ginger.  Benvenuto is rusty
black.

How about calling him Petronius the Arbiter?

Or going to the classics in general rather than folklore or myth, my family
had a beautiful grey cat called Titus Livius when my elder brother was very
small.  (Livy the Spiv.)

Lit'ry cats, well, there are a couple here and there:

For I will consider my cat Geoffrey.

Asparagus.

Ahasuerus -- or his predecessor Agag was a blue Persian.

Greymalkin in *The Midnight Folk* isn't an old queen, he's a mysterious cat
who hardly appears at all.

Morwen, the splendid witch in Pat Wrede's "Dragons" quartet, has a large
grey tom-cat called Trouble, if that's any use to you.

Minnow