[DWJ] 'that damned hook'?

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 13:00:08 EDT 2007

 Minnow:

>That seems more likely, via S'm Pauls, which again we already have with us.
Not S'n Pauls, for some reason: is the "m" noise easier than the "n"?
Babies get to "m" first, I think, so maybe it is.

I think it may be something to do with the ease of that particular tongue
movement, from 's' to 'm' (as an alternative to 'n'). Cf. 'sandwich' -->
'samwidge'. But bilabials are certainly amongst the first consonants to be
learned by babies - hence the gratifying (to those so addressed) fact that
so many of them say 'Mama' or 'Mummy' as their first word. Daddies trail a
long way behind, being merely alveolar.

I had a look at *Riddley Walker* on Search Inside at
Amazon.com<http://amazon.com/>earlier. The example of its language I
quoted really doesn't do it justice.
Made me want to read it again!

Charlie