[DWJ] 'that damned hook'?

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 03:14:44 EDT 2007

On 15/04/07, Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:

>So.  Has anybody else read _Riddley Walker_ by Russell Hoban?  [If I'm
spelling the title correctly.]  It's been a long time for me, but I
definitely
found it worth plowing [or ploughing] through.

It's been a long time for me too, but ditto. RW (which is set in a
post-apocalyptic distant-future England, for anyone who may not know, but
don't let that put you off) is a good example of an 'archaeological
language' book. You have to excavate to find the current words hidden in
their future forms, albeit distorted by long use and eroded by the sands of
time... The only example I can call to mind is a rather poor one, though:
Ardship of Cambry = Archbishop of Canterbury.

DWJ does the same thing in the far future section of *A Tale of Time City*,
by the way (Spauls=St Pauls).

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk