[DWJ] Where are we from?

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 14 19:24:23 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:
> Is it Midlothian that has a Question, or does Midlothian just have a Heart?
>
> I have never had the faintest idea what the [X-place that might be
> Midlothian] Question really is, but there is that phrase politicians and
> people who write letters to the quality newspapers use, and it is meant to
> stifle opposition to whatever they are putting forward.  I have no idea
> whether this is a spell that works, or not.

It's the West Lothian Question, I believe, but it's Midlothian that has
a heart (which I have often walked upon).

As Robin Williamson said (approximately) in a monologue I heard him
deliver in Edinburgh in 1992 "It's the heart of the  city which is heart
of Scotland, and they spit on it because of a prison that isn't there
any more".

(If you really want to know what the West Lothian Question is, it's
approximately "Now that Scotland has its own assembly so English
politicians do not get to decide on Scottish internal matters, should
not Scottish MP's at Westminster - say, the member from West Lothian -
be barred from deciding on English internal matters"?)

Colin