[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Sat Apr 14 17:59:47 EDT 2007

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:>I know perfectly well what is going on here, by the way: you got as far >as
>about half-way through the first chapter of Lynne Truss's *Eats, Shoots >and
>Leaves*, having fumed your way through the introduction, before you >threw
>it from you in fury because she irritated you so much, and that chapter >is
>called "The Tractable Apostrophe"; you're still suffering from a >desperate
>and unfulfilled desire to clonk her with the book, and since you can't do
>that, any mention of the apostrophe reminds you of that frustration, and
>causes your fists to clench and steam to come out of your ears in a >series
>of short puffs which when interpreted by a Native American expert in
>smoke-signals clearly read "I'll get that snooty cow if it's the last thing
>I do!", and you launch yourself at surrogate Lynne Trusses wherever >you
>perceive them.  This seems a little unfair on those of us who are quite
>fond of the harmless necessary apostrophe, but we still wuv oo weally.
>Almost all the time we do.  It makes us want to ruffle your hair and >murmur
>soothing things like "There, there, wozzums a diddums wozzums >den?" and
>then run like the blazes or in my case dive behind impenetrable >waterweed
>with loud cries of "paxpaxpax!"

Rather than quaking over the thought of a Comma Flame War (which would be interesting in its own right, factoring in that the participants would probably use words of more than one syllable, unlike usual flame warriors -- not that I'm advocating flaming, mind you), I have been chortling and attempting not to choke on my tea.  I love this list because people are both intelligent and *funny*.

EGH