[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Apr 13 16:18:03 EDT 2007

deborah abruptly became the Representitive Of The Universal Fellowship Of
Moderators!  Wa-hey!

>Um, I didn't think I would ever be saying this about any
>discussion that didn't involve politics, religion, or the merits
>of the Harry Potter books, but I would like to remind the
>participants in the apostrophe conversation that tone doesn't
>always carry well over e-mail, and that we are all either friends
>or respectful fellow fans here.

In the case of Colin'n'me, we've been respectfully beating each other over
the head with fervour for oooh, almost twenty years now, and *he owes me*
for having pointed him at this list in the first place!

The apostrophe might be considered as a religious icon, I s'pose.  Or
perhaps a political matter.  I wouldn't know whether it is a merit of the
Harry Potter books?

>The temptation to follow this up with some inflammatory comment
>about the Harry Potter books is almost overwhelming, but that
>would probably be a bad plan. *g*

Oh, go on, go for it.  Or go for them.  Whatever.

>As an ObDWJ I shall point out that this conversation would
>probably leave Quentin Sykes raging and frothing at the mouth and
>throwing things, but I am not sure on which side he would come
>down.

His typewriter, being an ancient manual model, goes KLUD-*DUNK*! every time
he uses an apostrophe, because it's upper-case above the 8, and the entire
machine bounces.  He would probably be strongly in favour of leaving a
space and putting in the apostrophes by hand, just in the interests of
making some point or other.  :-)

Minnow