[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Apr 13 13:59:36 EDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Colin Fine wrote:
>As you say, tone doesn't carry well. Minnow and I are old friends and
>occasional adversaries.

Right. I just worry, because we've had recent reports from
lurkers that we are intimidating, and I want to reassure them
that we are all very friendly, really.  I promise!

>> The temptation to follow this up with some inflammatory comment
>> about the Harry Potter books is almost overwhelming, but that
>> would probably be a bad plan. *g*
>>

>No, don't go there.

I'm trying to decide what else would be inflammatory. We can get
into some pretty nasty debates about Fire and Hemlock.

(Wow, my randomly generated signature file seems incredibly
apropos to this discussion. Maybe we should make a literary
version. "There's not serial comma people and non-serial comma
people -- we are all grammar pedants together, respecting the
subordinate clause among the descriptivists and the evolving
language among the prescriptivists...")

-deborah
--
There's not a liberal America and a conservative America-there's
the United States of America...  We worship an awesome God in the