[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Apr 13 06:13:22 EDT 2007

Philip suggested:

>(Minnow, being traditionalist grammar queen, may wish to say "an
>hortatory subjunctive", as will anyone who drops the H, but I sound the
>H and stick to "a")

As with "an honouray title"?  I too would tend to keep the "h" here(after).

When we do and don't pronounce the "h" at the front of a word is a constant
source of wonder to me, actually.  "An (h)otel" always sounds slightly
forced (unless it's Robert Robinson, who pulls it off effortlessly), and
"an (h)ippopotamus" would be downright worrying even if it were not at the
time worrying me on a personal and physical level by eating my waterweed.

Minnow