[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Charles Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 04:26:06 EDT 2007

On 13/04/07, Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote in response
to Minnow:

>It is in Spenser.  It seems to have been a perfectly acceptable way
to say "it might be".

Spenser uses 'mote', it's true, and in different ways - to indicate varying
degrees of possibility, obligation, permissibility, capability, etc. I don't
think he uses that particular amen-ish formula, though (he doesn't actually
pray much in *The Faerie Queene*, though I suspect he's often itching to).

Hmm. Is 'mote it be' an example of the hortatory subjunctive? Always wanted
to meet one.

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk