[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Apr 12 19:32:23 EDT 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Minnow wrote:

>> On 12/04/07, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale)
>> <Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com>
>> wrote:

>> On an only partially related note, has anyone ever come across the
>> phrase
>> 'Mote it be', outside a Masonic or Wiccan context? It just feels sort
>> of,
>> er... made up.
>
> I *think* it may be in Spenser.  But I am *not* going all the way
> through
> the Fairie Queene looking for it!

It is in Spenser.  It seems to have been a perfectly acceptable way
to say "it might be".

The Wiccan/Masonic context seems to be "so mote it be" as in
'so be it'.  Why can't they just say 'amen'?  Without getting too
deeply into Macbeth's problems with the word 'amen' ...

- Treat the Earth well.
    It was not given to you by your parents.
    It was loaned to you by your children.

                   - Kenyan proverb