[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Apr 12 16:02:21 EDT 2007

>On 12/04/07, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) <Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com>
>wrote:
>"To whence" is a
>phrase that is (in my experience) not used, but it would make more sense
>than the more usual "return whence you came" or the inaccurate (and
>again pleonastic) "return from whence you came".

Charlie pointed out:

>'Whencesover you came, return thither', is a good phrase to keep in mind
>when encountering powerful demons. It doesn't have any magical force, but
>one can usually make good one's escape while they're trying to untangle the
>grammar.

Now I shall spend the rest of the evening trying to remember the banishment
in the first Ghostbusters film, about the nearest convenient dimension.
Help!?

>On an only partially related note, has anyone ever come across the phrase
>'Mote it be', outside a Masonic or Wiccan context? It just feels sort of,
>er... made up.

I *think* it may be in Spenser.  But I am *not* going all the way through
the Fairie Queene looking for it!

Minnow

Queen of Traditionalist Grammar hereafter.