[DWJ] A grammar realization - Where are we from?

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Apr 12 04:24:08 EDT 2007

Minnow pointed out:

> Whence do we all hail?  From the land of the *traditionalist* grammar
> police.

With you on that one!  I was about to say the same thing myself.

> Minnow (who winces occasionally when people on the radio say "from
> whence", even if it *is* in the Apostles' Creed.)

Good point.  "From whence" is a pointless pleonasm, the way it's used in
the creed.  On the other hand, it could have it's uses where there would
otherwise be two froms, as in "I come from where you come from", which
might be better put as "I come from whence you come".  "To whence" is a
phrase that is (in my experience) not used, but it would make more sense
than the more usual "return whence you came" or the inaccurate (and
again pleonastic) "return from whence you came".

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432