[DWJ] The Game (spoilers) and synchronicity.

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Apr 11 13:05:32 EDT 2007

I'd like to tell you a story.  It happened nearly two weeks ago, on a
Thursday afternoon.  I had travelled to London for a meeting of the
guild of which I am a member.  (Yes, a real guild, although it's lost
touch with the trade it was founded to serve.  It's work is mostly
charitable now, and there's not much opportunity for individual members
to get involved.)

Anyway, I made a detour to Forbidden Planet to buy a copy of The Game;
this being soon done, I went early to the guild's hall and found
somewhere quiet to sit and read a book.  I almost started The Game
straight away, but I had the last episode of "Tales of the Otori" by
Lian Hearn in my pocket, and I had almost finished it, so I read the
last few pages of the story, and the interview at the back in which LH
says that she doesn't consider herself a fantasy/horror fan, but does
read a lot of DWJ.

That was the minor coincidence.  The major coincidence was on the first
page of The Game when I opened it.  The guild to which I belong, and in
whose hall I was reading it, is the Worshipful Company of Mercers.  So
you can imagine my double take at the mention of the cousin's name...

On the things people have been discussing about the story itself, all I
really have to say is that I thought Flute and Fiddle were the summer
and winter kings.  I wasn't so worried about how they had a claim to the
garden of the golden apples - Atlas himself said that the apples
belonged to the King - as how the garden was "of" the Hesperides when
they seemed to have no part in it!  I also liked the way Flute and
Fiddle got their instruments, in payment for apples in previous rounds
of the game.  I have a particular feeling for the Old Soldier's violin
after studying "The Soldier's Tale" for O-level music.  Finally, I think
the star they'd demanded for the apple was intended for Hayley to use in
defeating Jolyon.  That was precisely why they needed it so urgently.

Whew.  Got that out of my system.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432