[DWJ] Where are we from?

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 05:27:49 EDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:41:38 AM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Where are we from?

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:09:38 -0600, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Apr 9, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
>
>> I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, but was raised (mostly) on
>> a cattle property half an hour from Jackson, Queensland, Australia,
>> which had a population of 25 on a good day.
>
>Now, see, if you'd been born in the USofA, you could have chosen
>among Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana,
>Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
>Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina,
>Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin,
>and Wyoming.  That's half the states, for crying out loud!
Okay.  I'll stop doing this, I promise.  But it's certainly been a
>revelation to me.  [The reason Jackson is so common is that we
>had a very popular president of that name.]

In Australia it is Macquarie that appears everywhere.He was early 19th century colonial governor who sent out many brown-nosing explorers, as a result we have a Lake Macquarie (where I live), Port Macquarie, Macquarie Harbour, Macquarie Ranges, Macquarie Marshes, Macquarie River and even a Lachlan River (which was his first name - named by the same explorer responsible for the Macquarie River). I think every place I lived in Australia has had a Macquarie Rd as well.

I've been interested in duplicated city names ever since we lived in the
less-well-known Vancouver and had to add our state name.  Come to think of
it, when we moved to Washington, we always had to clarify that it was the
*state* and not D.C.

Even Australians often think that because I live in Toronto I'm in Canada.

I also like names that are one-of-a-kind.  Our permanent game master used to
live near Mud Suck, West Virginia (I think WV).  It's not called that any
more, but what a town to grow up in....

I though Comebychance was a pretty good Aussie placename but have just discovered Canada has one too. We also have a Binnalong and a Binaway.

Jon