[DWJ] Where are we from?

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Apr 10 23:13:00 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> Everywhere around here is either uniquely named (Algonquin words,
> usually) or named after English towns, except for my current
> town, which started as a village with an Algonquin name,
> incorporated as a town with an English name, and got renamed in
> 1867 after a United States cemetary (named after an English
> town).
>
> As for generations of family -- well, I was in high school before
> I realised there *were* people whose great grandparents were born
> in this country.  Lord knows mine weren't, nor my mother,
> neither. (For that matter, and connected, I was in high school
> before I had any Protestant friends; in this almost
> overwhelmingly Protestant country I only know Jews and
> Catholics.)
>
> -deborah

Sounds like Great Neck, only I did know plenty of Protestants.  It's just
that nearly all of them were Chinese or Korean.  All of the white people
were Jews or Catholics.

The names of Long Island towns aren't all Native American words or
English towns, though.  In fact, this is connected to DWJ, because I've
never understood why there's a town on Long Island called Babylon.  Just
checking on Wikipedia, apparently it was named in the 1800s.  You would
think that they wouldn't _want_ to name their town something with the
kinds of connotations Babylon has.  So the only explanation I can think of
is that it was named by a Magid.

						---Kyra

---
"Entertainment can sometimes be hard, when the thing that you love is the
same thing that's holding you down."
				---Jarvis Cocker (Pulp), "Party Hard"