[DWJ] Where are we from?

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 10 23:09:30 EDT 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Kathleen Jennings wrote:

> I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, but was raised (mostly) on
> a cattle property half an hour from Jackson, Queensland, Australia,
> which had a population of 25 on a good day.

Now, see, if you'd been born in the USofA, you could have chosen
among Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana,
Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina,
Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin,
and Wyoming.  That's half the states, for crying out loud!

Okay.  I'll stop doing this, I promise.  But it's certainly been a
revelation to me.  [The reason Jackson is so common is that we
had a very popular president of that name.]

But it's interesting - please carry on as long as you like.
I come from (was born and spent my childhood in) Lautoka, Fiji, but now
live in Auckland, New Zealand. I'd be really interested to know if
there's a Lautoka in the USA.

Regards
Elizabeth.