[DWJ] Where are we from?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Apr 10 13:29:24 EDT 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 11:01 AM, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> Everywhere around here is either uniquely named (Algonquin words,
> usually) or named after English towns

That's pretty much how it is in Connecticut, too.  Of course.

> As for generations of family -- well, I was in high school before
> I realised there *were* people whose great grandparents were born
> in this country.  Lord knows mine weren't, nor my mother,
> neither. (For that matter, and connected, I was in high school
> before I had any Protestant friends; in this almost
> overwhelmingly Protestant country I only know Jews and
> Catholics.)

Hmmmm.  Well, I think all my great-grandparents were, though I
don't think all my great-great-grandparents were.  I certainly have
nobody who went through Ellis Island.  [And some of my generations
are _very_ long.  My mother's father was born in 1859.]

One of the byproducts of having a family that's lived in the USofA
for as many generations as mine has is that, while I, for example,
am a European-American, I have African-American relatives [although
not close ones, and I don't actually know them, but I believe the guy
who does Elmo on Sesame Street is a relative].

Also, if one's family has lived here for enough generations, I'm
told that there's almost certainly Native American in the mix as
well.

Really, this is not unlike knowing that if your family has lived in
the UK for enough generations, you have Danish and Saxon
ancestry.  It's just a matter of time.

As for the Protestant-Catholic-Jewish thing, there were
plenty of Catholics and Protestants in my hometown, but
few Jews.  And fewer African-Americans.

I have always felt that laughter in the face of
reality is probably the finest sound there is and
will last until the day when the game is called
on account of darkness. In this world, a good
time to laugh is any time you can.

                           -- Linda Ellerbee