[DWJ] Where are we from?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Apr 10 13:01:51 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|I also like names that are one-of-a-kind.  Our permanent game master used to
|live near Mud Suck, West Virginia (I think WV).  It's not called that any
|more, but what a town to grow up in....

Everywhere around here is either uniquely named (Algonquin words,
usually) or named after English towns, except for my current
town, which started as a village with an Algonquin name,
incorporated as a town with an English name, and got renamed in
1867 after a United States cemetary (named after an English
town).

As for generations of family -- well, I was in high school before
I realised there *were* people whose great grandparents were born
in this country.  Lord knows mine weren't, nor my mother,
neither. (For that matter, and connected, I was in high school
before I had any Protestant friends; in this almost
overwhelmingly Protestant country I only know Jews and
Catholics.)

*struggles really hard to ObDWJ this*
*ponders*

Jamie's family in Homeward Bounders was certainly in the
same place for several generations.  And then there's the
Archer's Goon family, for real longevity.  And how do generations
work in Time City, anyhow?  Whereas the folks who work at
Chrestomanci Castle are all immigrants of a sort, and Howl is
even from another world.

Hey, I'm trying, at least.

-deborah
--
Before everything else I'm a human being.
					- Nora, _A Dolls' House_