[DWJ] Where are we from?

Tue Apr 10 12:41:38 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:09:38 -0600, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Apr 9, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
>
>> I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, but was raised (mostly) on
>> a cattle property half an hour from Jackson, Queensland, Australia,
>> which had a population of 25 on a good day.
>
>Now, see, if you'd been born in the USofA, you could have chosen
>among Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana,
>Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
>Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina,
>Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin,
>and Wyoming.  That's half the states, for crying out loud!
>
>Okay.  I'll stop doing this, I promise.  But it's certainly been a
>revelation to me.  [The reason Jackson is so common is that we
>had a very popular president of that name.]

I've been interested in duplicated city names ever since we lived in the
less-well-known Vancouver and had to add our state name.  Come to think of
it, when we moved to Washington, we always had to clarify that it was the
*state* and not D.C.

I also like names that are one-of-a-kind.  Our permanent game master used to
live near Mud Suck, West Virginia (I think WV).  It's not called that any
more, but what a town to grow up in....

Melissa Proffitt