[DWJ] Where are we from?

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Apr 9 13:48:07 EDT 2007

Sallyo said...

> Someone said;
> Hmm. . . possibly differing from some of the rest of you, I read "whare >
> are you from?" as a question demanding the name of the town that I > grew
> up
> > in,
>
> That's my fault. The town I grew up in IS where I'm from, and where I
> still am. I tend to forget that some people actually (shudder) move.

I'm similar.  I was actually born in England (Derby), and also lived briefly
in Bristol (where my brother was born), but my family moved back to Ireland
when I was two and aside from college I've lived in Dublin ever since.  So
to me, "where I'm from" is the same place as "where I am".

I suppose, if you want to get picky, "where I'm from" is Malahide (a suburb
of Dublin) and "where I am" is Coolock (a different, and less classy(!)
suburb of Dublin).  But while I might move around within Dublin, there's no
way I'm going to leave this city.  It's mine, and I love it.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it."
- Bernard Bailey