[DWJ] Where are we from?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Apr 9 10:31:50 EDT 2007

I believe that's an interpretation common in the USofA.  We "live"
somewhere and we're "from" somewhere.  I "live" in southwest
Colorado, but, if somebody around here asked me where I was
"from", I'd tell them I'm "from" Glastonbury, Connecticut, which
is _not_ within fifteen minutes of the Sound.  It's more like an
hour and some, but we spent a lot of time on that Sound and
on Fishers Island Sound in my youth.

On Apr 8, 2007, at 11:11 PM, Kyra Jucovy wrote:

> Hmm. . . possibly differing from some of the rest of you, I read "whare
> are you from?" as a question demanding the name of the town that I
> grew up
> in, namely Great Neck, Long Island, New York.  But most of you seem to
> be
> saying where they are now.  I'm currently in New Haven, CT.
>
> I have in fact lived in the past in places that were more than a
> fifteen
> minute drive from the Long Island Sound.  Really!  I promise!  Just not
> much. . . .
>
> 						---Kyra

I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a
person by the way they handle these three
things: a rainy day, lost luggage, & tangled
Christmas tree lights!

                               —writer Maya Angelou