[DWJ] Any paid book reviewers out there?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Apr 3 11:30:18 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, everbard at ix.netcom.com wrote:
|One does not review books for the money.  They do it for the love.  And the free books.
|And I guess they might make a little extra on the side if they sell the books they get on eBay, which is a morally-questionable proposition in its own right.  (Some authors/publishers don't care, some get very upset, the books often say NOT FOR SALE, etc etc etc.)

Ditto, although in productive years I make a low four figures. If
I reviewed books full-time, at my current rate of pay and given
how long it takes me to review each book, I figure I could
technically support myself on the money I took in -- but none of
the review journals for which I review could possibly send me
that many books. I've begged; I would love to be a full-time book
reviewer.

But definitely, book reviewing is done for love and for free
books, and maybe for getting your name out there in certain
fields. The money is just a nice perk that helps me justify the
time spent.

For the record, I review freelance, paid for two journals and
free for two journals.

-deborah
--
You gotta run when God makes you an offer
You gotta go if someone shows you how to go