Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Sat Sep 30 20:22:36 EDT 2006

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:  Ania wrote:

>[rant] I really don't get it when people name their children (i. e. register
>their names as) things like Katie, Ellie etc. Why not Katherine or
>Elizabeth? They won't be little girls forever and with the full version
>there is so much more scope for later variation. I also detest fanciful
>spellings. A friend named her son Quinton. I tried to point out (tactfully)
>that the spelling is Quentin, or Quintin. She didn't care. Now her kid is
>saddled with a deliberate spelling mistake for the rest of his life. Grrrr.
>[/rant]
  It's very popular here in the USA to give names new spellings.   I've run into too many MacKenzies to count in the past few years and  they have all had a different spelling -- Makenzie, MacKenzie,  Mikenzy.  It's crazy.  I don't have any statistics to back me  up on this, but it seems that parents are choosing either  older-fashioned names (Margaret, Isabel) or racing to get the most  oddly spelled, never-before-used name (hence the MacKenzies).  But  perhaps this only applies to girls?

  EGH