Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 16:10:54 EDT 2006

> Since my name's come up, I'll chip in on suggestions for Kylie's baby
> names. Meredith as a girl's name seems to be exclusively non-Welsh, since
> from what I can gather, in Wales it is not even a first name but is
> actually a surname indicating a male, and comes from a word for "sea lord"
> or in one source I've seen "sea god." I always thought it was cool to be
> named after a god, even if I am a woman. My mother didn't even realise it
> was a Welsh name and told me she just heard the name and liked it, but has
> forgotten where she got it from. I'm convinced she read it in a Jeffrey
> Farnol novel, so I am named after a romantic heroine from some rather
> peculiar historical romances! As a kid I quite liked being nicknamed
> Merry, until I read Lord of the Rings and decided I definitely didn't want
> to be a hobbit.

And in its Welsh form it is pronounced with the accent on the penultimate
syllable (like most Welsh words), so MeREDith. My friend Rhian who bears
this surname gets really annoyed when people pronounce it MERedith.

There must be a few around, but I've yet to meet a Welshman whose first name
is Meredith (or Maredudd/Maredydd).

I quite like the Welsh (female) name Eluned (Ell-INN-ed), aka Luned
(Linn-ed). No idea where it comes from or what it means. A work colleague is
called Lilwen, which is very nice, I think.Gwyneth is a good name, but now
spoilt by Ms. Paltrow- another colleague who is a fifty something Gwyneth
has been observing a revival of it. When she was thus named it was because
her mother was a Welsh expat in not-so-distant Shropshire and felt
nostalgic.

Ania