Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Sep 25 12:22:04 EDT 2006

> > My Mongolian expert says the Mongolians spell it Chinggis. (for
> > Mongolian street cred:
>
> A spelling I've always found a bit odd. I guess it's supposed to be
> ch-i-ng-g-i-s; but I can't think of any language in which [n] before
> [g] or [k] isn't usually assimilated to [N] (i.e. [ng]), at least if
> it's in the same morpheme.

I've seen this in far eastern languages like Indonesian.  If you write
vowel-n-g-vowel, you get the /ng/ sound but not the /g/ sound, so you
have to write the second g.  Given that they write ngg, it presumably
wouldn't make sense merely to write nk, so they write ngk as well.

Philip (who is very grateful that we didn't get the job that would have
sent me to Mongolia for two months of winter)
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432