meredith at leemac.freeserve.co.uk meredith at leemac.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 16:02:44 EDT 2006

Since my name's come up, I'll chip in on suggestions for Kylie's baby names. Meredith as a girl's name seems to be exclusively non-Welsh, since from what I can gather, in Wales it is not even a first name but is actually a surname indicating a male, and comes from a word for "sea lord" or in one source I've seen "sea god." I always thought it was cool to be named after a god, even if I am a woman. My mother didn't even realise it was a Welsh name and told me she just heard the name and liked it, but has forgotten where she got it from. I'm convinced she read it in a Jeffrey Farnol novel, so I am named after a romantic heroine from some rather peculiar historical romances! As a kid I quite liked being nicknamed Merry, until I read Lord of the Rings and decided I definitely didn't want to be a hobbit.