[DWJ] nameday

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 16:16:43 EDT 2006

And the day on which the saint is celebrated is called one's name-day.

But do tell: *which* Saint Elisabeth? Hungary, or Portugal?  Do you turn
bread to roses?  It's important: you get a sort of extra birthday either on
17th (formerly 19th) November, or on 4th July, depending which you
selected.

Minnow

We have namedays in Poland and they are celebrated like birthdays in
Britain; birthdays in Poland have a lesser importance than namedays. If
there is more than one saint with the same name they have different saints'
days. Maria [MAR-yah] has quite a few and if that's your given name you (or
rather your parents) pick just one nameday for you from the various
possibilities. Some names just have one nameday- my own, Anna, amongst them
(though I remember hearing of another but it's very uncommon indeed; I have
never met an Anna whose nameday wasn't on the 26th of July).

Ania (this is a Polish diminutive of Anna, equivalent of Annie, I suppose)