Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 22 15:30:53 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Minnow wrote:

> Also, any name-joke wears a bit thin on the several hundredth
> repetition, and each person making it for the first time seems to
> assume that it is the first time the owner of the name has ever
> heard it too, and expects applause for their original wit.

   "I'm a private detective."

   "Oh?" said Kate in surprise, and then looked puzzled.

   "Does that bother you?"

   "It's just that I have a friend who plays the double bass."

   "I see," said Dirk.

   "Whenever people meet him and he's struggling around with it, they
   always say the same thing, and it drives him crazy. They all say,
   'I bet you wished you played the piccolo.' Nobody ever works out
   that that's what everybody else says. I was just trying to work out
   if there was something that everybody would always say to a private
   detective, so that I could avoid saying it."

   "No. What happens is that everybody looks very shifty for a moment,
   and you got that very well."

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."