Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Sep 22 10:04:13 EDT 2006

>Jon Noble wrote:
>> Teaching makes naming children hard - you tend to
>> associate every name with someone horrid.
>
>Speaking of invented words, isn't "horrid" invented?
>
>--Mark Allums

Back in 1590 or so, yes.  There was a lot of word-inventing going on around
then, with the language still being in rather a state of flux, and the
likes of Shakespeare cheerfully playing with it to see how it sounded well.
I have a vague feeling that someone told me that Shak. was responsible for
the invention of about four hundred words that we now take for granted.
Spenser too went in for wholesale coinage during the latter half of the
sixteenth century, and whole hordes of words have Spens. after them in
brackets in the dictionary.

Minnow