[DWJ] Re: Oh, those Russians... (Boney M)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Sep 21 19:49:55 EDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

> My dad called me Elizabeast. . . and my mom called me Henry Elizabeth
> Doodles.  Haven't quite figured that out yet, but it stuck to the point I
> considered making Henry my legal first name.
>
> lizzie

My "old" nickname from my family is "Doowah," which is what my little
brother called me before he could pronounce my name.  Only I always
assumed that it was spelled "Dua," and was very confused when I first
received e-mails from my parents while in college addressed to "Doowah."
I still like my spelling better.

My "new" nickname from my family is "Cacuceica."  This also comes from my
brother.  One day, he and a friend were trying to figure out how you would
pronounce "calculator" if you turned all of the consonants into /k/
sounds.  "Cacuceica" is that word, only without the final consonant.  Why
they called _me_ this is beyond me, given that, as you may have noticed, I
am a human being, not a calculator, and certainly not a calculator with
lots of /k/ sounds.  I have no idea why this nickname stuck, but everyone
in my family calls me that now.

Oh, and, speaking of Russians, I was named "Kyra" because my mother is a
dancer, and "Kyra" was the name of several Russian dancers or
dance-related people, like Nijinksy's daughter.  But my Belarusian
colleague at work recently told me that she and her mother think of "Kyra"
as a Communist name.  They never knew anyone actually named Kyra in real
life, but it was often a name given to very obedient Communist characters
on TV shows and things.

ObDWJ: Umm. . . "Awful" is the DWJ nickname that springs first to mind,
but actually, isn't "Duck" for Mallard rather neat?

						---Kyra

---
"You may find somebody kind to help and understand you, someone who is
just like you and needs a gentle hand to guide them along."
					---Tony Hatch, "Downtown"