Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 21 16:53:24 EDT 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 22:48, Colin Fine wrote:

> Attilla is neither Indo-European nor Semitic.

From http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=attila

Means "little father" from Gothic atta "father" combined with a
diminutive suffix. This was the name of a 5th-century leader of the
Huns who invaded and ravaged Europe before finally being slowed down at
the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains in Gaul. Attila was the name given
to him by his Gothic-speaking subjects in eastern Europe; his real name
may have been Avithohol.

   Irina (always glad to be of service :-) )

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 08-Sep-2006