Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:25:14 EDT 2006

On 9/19/06, Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Someone I know married into a family where the eldest son was always
> named John - but only the oldest surviving John was actually *called*
> John. All the younger Johns were called by their second name, until
> each in his turn became the eldest and was expected to change to being
> John. (If I recall correctly, her young son is now the only surviving
> John, but she, having observed the results in the earlier generation
> or two, has decided to continue calling him by the name he's used to
> until he's old enough to decide for himself what he wants to be
> called.)

That's the case in my family. My grandfather was John Clare, but called
Clare; my dad is John Barry, but called Barry.

And then my parents just couldn't do it to me . . . so they just shifted
"John" into another language and called me Ian.

Which was fine when I lived in Canada (as it's a good Scots/Irish name). I
was amazed when I moved "down here" (the US) to discover that very, very few
people knew how to spell my name upon hearing it or pronounce my name upon
reading it.

sigh

widdy aka Ian

--
"You know, in many ways I don't think this adventure has been properly
organized."
iwriddell at gmail.com / riddell at perfectharmonychorus.org