O. Elizabeth Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Sep 21 10:37:53 EDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 2:02 AM, Jon Noble wrote:

> --- Gili Bar-Hillel <gbhillel at netvision.net.il> wrote:
>
> , but neither are as bad as my former
>> roomie's maiden name,
>> "Ng". Unpronounceable on a western palate. Upon
>> marriage, she took her
>> husband's name and gained a vowel and a half: she's
>> now "Yang".
>
> I've taught some girls with the family name Ng, they
> pronounced it "enn gee" but that may have been to be
> kind to westerners. iirc they were of Cambodian
> origin. I've also met an Ng of Papua-New Guinean
> ancestry who pronounced it in a way I could never hope
> to reproduce - a bit like "thing" with a silent "thi"

In the USofA, the name is Vietnamese.

And there are _lots_ of them.  There is purported to
be more than a page of them in the Manhattan phone
directory.

They have one outstanding advantage, as far as I'm
concerned.

When companies in the direct mail advertising business
who are doing mass mailings process
their lists of names, they automatically eliminate any
name of less than three letters, because usually such
letter combinations are mistakes of some kind.
Lucky, lucky Ngs.

I firmly believe kids don’t want your understanding.
They want your trust, your compassion, your blinding
love, and your car keys, but you try to understand
them, and you’re in big trouble.

                                                         - Erma Bombeck