deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Sep 21 10:32:19 EDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Irina Rempt wrote:

|On Thursday 21 September 2006 04:41, J.E. Powers wrote:
|> I can think of several Russian men's names that end in "a", like
|> Mischa, Illya, Kolya, Sascha...
|> +++++++++
|>
|> Interesting that these are all nicknames...

|"Illya" surely not? AFAIK it's the Slavic form of Elia.

I thought it could be the dimniutive of Ilyich, although the
Ilyas I went to school with were named Ilya, I think.  So maybe
it's both?

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"