[DWJ] Re: In which I satisfy the curious (I hope!)

sanlehto at cc.jyu.fi sanlehto at cc.jyu.fi
Thu Sep 21 05:29:00 EDT 2006

Entering a bit late into this discussion but...

Actually, in Finnish, male names ending in -a are quite common. I can
think of several right now: Juha, Pekka, Jukka, Tuukka, Vesa, Esa, Mika,
Miika, Miikka. Pekka also frequently appears in combinations such as
Jukka-Pekka, Jussi-Pekka, Ari-Pekka, Antti-Pekka. I wonder if the
popularity of Pekka is based on the fact that it is the name of the
ancient Finnish god of barley and beer...

Still, perhaps there are even more girls' names ending -a (like my own).

But Finnish is not among the Indo-European languages so that might explain
the commonness of the male names ending in -a. Interesting in this sense
might be also the fact that Finnish has only one third person singular
pronoun, which is used of women and men alike.

ObDWJ, I think Halla (from Power of Three) is one of the most beautiful
names for a character. In Finnish, 'halla' means a certain type of frost.

- sanna