Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 21 05:19:32 EDT 2006

Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I thought it was a myth that Barrie invented the name
Wendy and that it was used in the 19th century. (a
shortening of Gwendoline?).

  I think that may be true, strictly speaking - but he kind of reinvented it, from what I understand, taking it from mispronunciation of 'friend' by the young daughter of a friend of his. (She died young, almost inevitably with Barrie.) And of course his character gave rise to its popularity in the 20th century, to Wendy houses, and so on.

  (I used to drink in the Green Dragon sometimes. They served great doorstep sandwiches - at least circa 1990. I well remember a seagull shitting on me in the beer garden there - happy days!)

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk